Tuesday, March 22, 2011

SXSW 2011 Photos!

MAYNE HOLD UP! Finally got a chance to sit down and blog it out. I used to get way more photos of this event at hand, but every year shit gets crazier and I get less for my blog. For those who don't know, I work for SXSW, and well, while I lug my big ass camera around everywhere during the fest, I don't always get to use it. But I try and here's what I caught.

CLICK HERE TO STREAM OR DOWNLOAD MY POST SXSW SPECIAL ON THE AUSTINSURREAL SHOW ON RADIO KAOS.


Monday night, music fest had yet to begin and I was asked to go and introduce one of my favorite films in recent years, FUBAR II - Balls to the Wall (yes that's what the US version is called).


Terry made it out, but alas, as the story goes, the Deaner was stopped at Canadian customs for having hash residue in his pocket. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it made for a good story. I would have loved to have met them both. But Terry held it down in fine form.


Director Michael Dowse was in the house as well.


We were supposed to have a beer chugging contest during the Q&A but we ran out of time. Oh well.


Music Fest started on Tuesday this year and we had shows in like 10 venues, 2 of which were mine. First band up was Houston's Two Star Symphony.


They sounded so amazing in Central Pres.


While More or Les and a buncha Canadians (and then some) rocked the packed Nerdcore showcase at Flamingo Cantina.


Gaute Solaas's Serpentine also rocked the Central Pres. And man did they rock. I never heard improvised avant garde jazz with such a funky edge. It was really something special.








D-Madness on the drums sure didn't hurt. Gary Lucas headlined that show and played a live soundtrack to the film (Spanish) Dracula. Was amazing, but there was no way I could get any photos of that, so dark. In every way. Gary is a guitar genius.


HAd to take off from my shows though and check out the legendary Psychic TV at Elysium though. Wow at Genesis P. Orridge still being a live and kicking.


Killer show. But only about half as interesting as this meeting of the minds right here.


I think Christeene and Dana Meyerstoned may be BFF's Fo Life now. Not sure.




But yeah they hit it off.


Wednesday look who came in to the reg hall to get their passes, EASY ACTION!


Loud shout out to TheSmoking Section bro'z. They presented a stage in the convention center with Danny Brown and more, and man, it made me so happy to see some real hip-hop goin' down up in the convention center. It was truly revolutionary.


Wednesday night, hands down my favorite singer/musician/band - Nive Nielsen & the Deer Children played at St. Davids Bethel Hall.


And wow, how beautiful in every way. If you listen to my radio show, you have heard their whole album. Its my favorite of 2010 hands down.




And they picked up a harpist a couple days before in Savannah, GA and brought her along to add to the magic.


Got to meet Narduwar with my man Tyler, while they were in pursuit of rappers at the Agency Group/XXL Showcase at Mohawk.




And I had to get a pic as well, as you know, I got to keep it real with my Canadian bretheren.


Thursday BET presented a panel up in the convention center. Check out the A-List folks on this one. I tell u whut.




And then Chuck Creekmur interviewed Chamillionaire up in the spot. We done came a long way up in the SXSW baby.


Thursday night the Music Hall exploded for the Village Voice/Frank 151 showcase. And Trae tha Truth did not disappoint. People went nutso.


I mean shit, they went nuts from band one. I wasn't there for the pre-party, but I saw Trouble Andrew, Marz Lovejoy and Rocky Business get on stage all just before Trae and EVERYONE had the crowd rockin'.


But when Yelawolf came on...


The place went straight ballistic.

Loud shout out to Trae too man, he was literally everywhere. I think he was on at the very least ten stages over the course of the week, with everyone from Yela to Wiz, to Big Sean, to man, everyone. I guess its ok for dues not from Houston to be down with Trae. In Houston, not so much. That shit still pisses me off. Never mind if you don't know what I'm talm bout THIS IS A POSITIVE POST.


My boy Ashley in the place chillin' with one of the girls that was giving out rolling papers and such.


The BET showcase at Kiss & Fly was nothing short of amazing as well. Big shout to everyone who made that happen as well, including my mans Yusufu and Reggie seen here!

Friday, fuck, I didn't get any photos.

But Saturday it really went down! I didn't have to be to the convention center till 11 am so I was able to sleep enough to get a semblance of a thought process back, and got out a lil early in the evening so I got to catch some of the Africa Day party at Flamingo Cantina. Groups from South Africa and Kenya came together to ROCK and it was hands down the best day party in all of SXSW history. No corporate sponsor branding bullshit ass bullshit, no hipster ass bullshit, just real music.

Yeah, I said it.


The young homey Gamebouy KILLED IT! He is from South Africa and got his name from the LA rapper The Game. He's a beast on the mic already, its really crazy. You can hear him live on my radio show from this past weekend. Link ABOVE this post.




Wouter Kellerman and band came out and killed it as well.


You have never heard a flute played like this, and you need to get hip to the new phenomena known as flute boxing.




Not kidding, was amazing.


South Africa's finest HHP was in the building seen here with my bro Sibu.


Gamebouy! Dude met Mack Maine's brother up in this event.


Thanks to my man right here. So lets see what happens. I think Young Money needs a 13 year old from Soweto.


PARTNERS N CRIME were in the place!


Sibu and my dear friend Tholsi!

Later in the day, Kenya's Sauti Sol hit the stage.

And brought the house DOWN!


So much positive energy was flowing from that stage. This is what music is supposed to be like. Not in sound, but vibe. They really poured their hearts and souls into the crowd and touched us all.


Ann was straight trippin'


And Brian and I were jammin' as well.


Puja wanted a lil more boom boom boom ravey ness or some shit, but she managed.


Everyone was feeling it though.


Just wonderful.

Another act that totally blew me away was Denver's Wheelchair Sports Camp.

This girl Kalyn has beats AND rhymes and a hell of a stage presence. I heard so many people talking about them after their set.


Shit is bananas!


Full band, dope DJ, etc.


I think they could be on to some big things for real.

So yeah, I totally fucked up. What you see above represents about a tenth of what I saw this past week, and about a 20th of what I did. I'll try to dig up some videos and maybe my bro OG Luxury Minds will hit me with some more photos and I'll post more shit. But um yeah, I was busy.

Then Sunday, we got to chill.

The annual international BBQ at my crib was the most perfect way to end SXSW week hands down. So nice to see so many of my folks from so many places.


Kersten from Germany.


Serg from the Bay and my homegirls from NYC.


Sibusiso from South Africa and Lizzy from Akron or some shit.


My brother Bijan from Oakland and dear friend Tholsi from South Africa


Nive Nielsen from Greenland with her band from Belgium and my wife from Austin


Homeboy Sandman from Queens


DJ Stef from San Fran, Wouter Kellerman from South Africa and SergDun from the Bryan/College Station area


Them Deer Children jamming on the porch


Queen Majesty from Lackawanna, I mean Buffalo and Tony from Austin - tho both now in the Big City


Nive again with Heidi from Denmark


Lizzy and Kersten


Scott from next door


And so on.... It really went down. Nothing but great friends in the house, eating and drinking big.


Here's my daughter Elena and Eva making clay sculptures with Queen Majesty, Tony and Dante Ross at my kitchen table.


Just really gettin' it in.


Yeah, Elena and Dante, sculpting. Best SXSW picture EVER.




And what great work.

Another SXSW has come to pass, I hope you all had a wonderful time. I sure enjoyed seeing you all and wish I had more time to hang. We got to make a point to get down this year in your city. I am ready to rock. MattSoReal is back. In fool effect.

1 comment:

Kristin King said...

I was so sad to miss the BBQ on Sunday, but thanks for all the great pictures and kind words!! (signed "the Harpist from Savannah- Deer Child :)