Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Last Week - Boombox ATX, Extra Plairs, Red Bull X-Fighters Y MAS!

Man, well, shoot, I been meaning to post up some flicks like purt near every single day, but this goldurned heat has me sweaty and sluggish. Summer in Austin is off the chain, there's so much to do inside and out, and well, we do it.

Also went to Fort Worth this past Saturday for a special date with my 6-year-old Eva courtesy of Red Bull. Here's what went down.


Actually this is last Tuesday. It just so happened that DJ's Chicken George, seen here, and Manny had Afrika Bambatta come thru their weekly at Red Fez, which happens to be right next door to the Lucky Lounge where Boombox and Rapid Ric do their thang thang every Tuesday. Well, I went a lil too early and couldn't stay for Bam, cuz you know, it was Tuesday, and I couldn't just hang up in the clubs all that long.


DJ Manny


Boombox put on one hell of a show, I hope to one day see them at a club with cheap drinks!


Tray God, man I have known this dude forever. In fact, his first group SOCKEYE performed at the Hip Hop Coffee Shop in Houston in 1991. Dude is a killer MC. For a while he and MC Overlord held down the MC duties with Boombox, but Overlord recently left and was replaced by Zeale 32, who was in Houston on this particular night. Damn.


DJ Rapid Ric spins before, during and after the Boombox set.


Starsign was in the place at Red Fez


As was MC Tee Double! Who I've also known for some time, but not quite as long as Tray God.

Then last Friday Bavu told me at like 10:30 a.m. that he and the Extra Plairs were performing at noon outside City Hall. It was at least 95 degrees, but they killed it!






That drummer there - Brannen Temple, man he is off the chain (and of course D-Madness is one of the best musicians out here period, but you probably already knew that). Anyway, like 6 years ago I saw Brannen play drums for Charles Gayle at the Elephant Room during SXSW and had no idea who he was, Charles Gayle didn't remember his name either and I have wondered ever since. This was the first time I had seen him since, and I not only recognized his face but recognized how he smashes his drums with a vengeance! AMAZING!

The mystery hath been solved.



Then Saturday like I said Eva and I went to the Red Bull X-Fighters event in Fort Worth. Stayed at the wonderful Embassy Suites downtown and stayed up late and ate junk and just kicked it hard. Eva and I were impressed by the old west feel of downtown Fort Worth and the stockyards and I was especially feeling how some people actually ride their horses to the bar and tie 'em up outside the bars when they go in to get a drink! It was some wild shit.




Anyway we ate, we drank, we saw motorcycles fly through the sky, courtesy of Red Bull. I may have filled Eva's lemonade cup with Jack Daniels and Red Bull Cola and snuck it into the stands, MAYBE!




I didn't get very good photos, as usual, I just sat in the back of the stands and shot really slow without a flash. Thinking I'm an artist or something.


Reckless Kelly sang the National Anthem.


www.redbullxfighters.com for an idea of what this madness is all about.


My question is, how do you learn how to jump a motorcyle over 100 feet in the air? How high do you jump the first time? Seriously, how do youpractice such a thing? Shit freaked me out.









THEN Sunday Eva and I got up, went swimming in the hotel pool and drove back to Austin where we had a lil Fathers Day BBQ, then my wife and I went down to Club Deville to see Extra Golden. AMAZING!


Opening band, Rattletree Marimba (I think Sun-Jue told me their name was "Rattlesnake Marimba" and I kept calling them that until Martin from Grimy Styles corrected me), anyway they are certainly a new favorite of mine.

From their website: "Rattletree Marimba is a Zimbabwean style marimba band based in Austin, Texas. They play high-energy dance and trance music that is guaranteed to get the dance floor moving from the first song!"


It's true, they get it fuckin' poppin'. If they were from New York people would be freaking out all over them ala Antibalas.


And of course Extra Golden.


Dude is a monster on guitar.






Anyway, I gotta go tend to the children. What's the next event?

Oh yeah, THIS!

GETO BOYS LIVE JULY 4th in HOUSTON! At WAREHOUSE LIVE!



And of course for a sneak preview of what this magnanimous reunion will be like be sure to come out to the Red Bull Big Tune Event Wednesday June 25th in Houston at VENUE. Willie D will be performing LIVE! As will Michael Watts of the Swisha House, and our featured producer Mr. Lee!

No comments: