Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holidaze Parties Really Went DOWN!

They say life is just a party, and I fill dat, I rilly do.

Cuz I tend to party. Here's some pics from this past weekend and in the end a few from last week. Basically we will start with photos from Friday night at the Red Bull 45 event in Houston. Then some flicks from The Friends Not Family Holiday Event here in Austin, and then round things up with some flicks from the SEA Awards Nominees party last week here in Austin. I done forgot that I had them flicks on my camera.

Anyhoo....


B-Boy Craig hosted the Red Bull 45 event where The Are, DJ Sun, Ceeplus, Brett Koshkin and John Doe all spun 45 vinyl all night.


Brett Koshkin


DJ Sun and Phillip Marshall


The Are seen here with Sess


DJ Cut Chemist


This was one event where I felt as though it was ok to watch the DJs. And possibly learn something. Cut Chemist headlined and did this one turntable mix set that was absolutely flawless. I am not the most technically adept dude in the world but lemme try to explain this.

Basically he was playing all 45s, on one turntable that he had run through some sort of loop pedal, that he worked with his foot. He would put a record on, spin it till the break, loop the break, lay some cuts, take the record off as the loop played, scratch over the loop, loop the current record and so on and so forth and I mean, dude did not miss a beat. Shit was brilliant.

Before that though, the DJ's all were stationed in different corners of the room. Each with a 2 turntable set up. They spun records round robin style all night, and everyone came with their own brand of genius. Funk, soul, r&b, hip-hop, rock, club music, 80's jams... there were NO boundaries. And everything was played on vinyl.

Which if you did not know, SOUNDS WAY BETTER THAN THAT MP3 ASS BULLSHIT.

Anyway...

The history as it relates to MattSoReal, Houston music, hip-hop in general and more that is represented in this photo is immeasurable. DJ Cipher, Petu and Ric Edwards coming with that Phunky Phat Phlava.


And this pic here as well. You may know DJ Wiz as the DJ for Aesop Rock, I know him as a member of Def IV and a Houston Hip-Hop PIONEER.






Jenny & Tresa


Jennifer from Premium Goods and Melesa!


Kam & Eric


CJ!


Greg, Tiffany and Tresa from Red Bull. Thanks for this amazing event y'all!


One of my favorite artists ARTICLE!


White Tim


Mi ride or die compadres Kiara and Stacy!


Kim Cee!


Matt and Stephanie. Why he all trying to grab her thang thang like that?


Mike Frost Michelle and I chillin' on down.


Real goofy looking dude, as shot by Brett Koshkin


As you can see...


IT REALLY WENT DOWN!


Tiffany, Josh and Dos Crow


Scuba Steve


Shorty


Stacy and I


Love was in the air. Word up Stephanie and Crystal!


And here's the DJ's

So yeah, Friday was quite the whirlwind. Then Saturday it was a bit of family Christmas in Houston then back to Austin for the Friends Not Family Christmas Party on Sunday.


When we arrived at The Mohawk, they had a real wrestling match going off outside!


Shit had me trippin'. It was really real. When did wrestling go ironic? (Sorry I couldn't resist.No hipster hate here)


Ann from theSouthernShift.com came thru, along with my bro N. Brown from N. Brown Clothing.


I made a rule that there would no rapping at this particular event, but the bear trumped me and started a cipher.


Tracie and Friends!


Lil J of Da COD and friend




D. George, Melissa and Friends!




James Dean and his ladyfriend


BIG JD IN THE HOUSE!


Julia Ervin acting fabulous and also Hollywood as if she was on a runway, but really she just got in from Moscow and came for a drink real talk. But yeah, fabulous.


Paul Minor with allllll the ladies!


Including Laura


Lowkey and Gangsta Boo Barbie with more ladies!


Lolo and Doc Holiday!




Melissa and System D128!


Me, Lolo and the mystery man, Tosin.


Meriah, Laura aka Parky P and Samantha


Mod Plexi was in the house on the sponsor tip


Richard Henry manned the decks for like 75% of the night. We loaded all of my holiday jams into his Serato and well, every time I got near that fucking thing it would fuckt he fuckup. Plus MP3s sound like shit so I was getting super pissed every song so he pretty much saved the day and killed it.

Then I killed the whole vibe when he did a jammin' hip-hop set and I played Nat King Cole's Christmas Song, slowed way down.

Cuz as I have stated, I don't know how to do all that computer bullshit. When I am elected President of the United States MP3s will be illegal and vinyl will make a radical come back. Fo dat ass, cuz I have PRIORITIES.


Robert Gabriel and Tosin. Edited Tosin's face cuz he be trippin' all the time, trying to remain a mystery.


The women of So, Like, Yeah also do not want to be exposed. But their misfortune cookies were a huge hit. Mine said "The monkeys know." Which I already knew.





Anyway yeah man that party really went down like a mahfucka, mahfuckas.

A week or so back though, there was a lil get together for all of the Austin nominees to the SEA Awards. I am nominated for Journalist/Photographer of the year even tho I haven't written shit of any merit in years and my photos are a total mess. But I am totally honored. And there's some great folks from ATX nominated this year so go vote and look out for your peoples!


Young Spinna Killin' it.


Rachel Rachel


Staci Russell is set to have a HUGE 2010, watch. Mark my words it's bout to go down.


Rachel, Lolo and Staci in full effect!


DJ Grip in the house


Yeah so, it really went down.

I want to have another holiday mix for y'all before this damn holiday is over. If I don't check in before then, have yourself a Merry little Christmas and a Happy New Year and a wonderful Kwanzaa and hoping your Hannukah was wonderful too.

Also the winter solstice, hope you made it through.

2 comments:

Tracie aka Strawberry said...

Thanks, Matt!
I had so much fun at the Friends not Family Holiday Jammmy!
Thow'd down, 4 sho!
You deserve all the photo journalism awards! :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Melissa, and the girls!
Happy Kwanzaa!
Much Love and RESPECT,
Tracie

Pushermania said...

AW THANKS!